A beautiful smile has a real impact on confidence, self-esteem and social success. Almost any dental problem related with your smile can now be treated with cosmetic dentistry. If you have always wanted to change something about your smile, come along and discuss this at DC Dental who can advise on what is best for you.
What is cosmetic dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry can be any type of dental procedure which enhances the patient’s teeth and their smile, thus improving a person’s overall appearance and self-confidence.
There are many treatment options for people who want to improve their teeth and smile.
Cosmetic dentistry procedures
Procedures for enhancing the appearance of teeth:
- Dental Veneers are a thin wafer like material which is tooth coloured and made from either porcelain or composite resin (filling material). Veneers cover the front portion of the teeth and are used to correct and repair chips and cracks or moderate tooth discoloration.
- Dental Crowns look like natural teeth and cover the entire tooth surface to improve its appearance and strength. Crowns may be porcelain (ceramic), metal or a combination of both.
- Teeth Whitening is one of the most commonly used cosmetic dental procedures to improve the appearance of teeth. It is an easy process that you do at home using a bleaching gel and custom made bleaching trays.
Procedures for replacing missing teeth:
Besides the obvious effect on your ability to eat, missing teeth can cause the face to collapse making you look older. Also, the surrounding teeth can drift out of position further affecting appearance and function.
- Dental Implants are artificial tooth root replacements to compensate for tooth loss. Crowns and bridges can be placed on Dental Implants to provide a natural looking non-removable replacement for missing teeth and provide the same function as your natural tooth.
- Fixed Bridges are made of porcelain or metal/porcelain to replace one or more missing teeth. They are fixed in the mouth and cannot be removed. Bridges are supported by your natural teeth and can be used to replace missing teeth.
- Dentures are prosthetic removable devices constructed to replace missing teeth. They are supported by surrounding soft and hard tissues of the oral cavity. Dentures can be complete or partial. Complete dentures cover the entire upper or lower jaw and are made from acrylic. Partial dentures replace one or a few teeth and are made from acrylic and metal.
Procedures for restoring function and aesthetics:
- Reshaping Teeth is a simple procedure that can be used to even up minor tooth alignment or tooth irregularities.
- Composite Bonding is when tooth coloured composite resin filling material is bonded to the tooth. This can be used to change the shape and appearance of the teeth. For example, close small spaces between the teeth. It is used to fill cavities, eliminate spots, chips or discolorations.
- Filling Replacement will improve the appearance of old discoloured fillings. Unsightly amalgam (silver) fillings can be replaced with tooth coloured fillings made from composite resin or porcelain. DC Dental does not recommend the indiscriminate replacement of amalgam restorations.
- Orthodontics is used to improve the misalignment of the teeth (crooked teeth). Orthodontics can move teeth into the ideal position before they are restored so that you end up with the best appearance and function. Orthodontics is suitable for adults of all ages, not just children.
Cosmetic dentistry focuses on improving the appearance of a person’s teeth, mouth and smile. Cosmetic dentistry strives to restore symmetry and rebuild teeth in a way that looks natural and appealing.
Call us today at either our Highland Park or Robina office to discuss your cosmetic dentistry needs!